Skip to main content
InjuryUFCJun 17, 2026, 9:09 PM· 6 min read· in sports

Tom Aspinall Cleared for UFC Return Following Double Eye Surgery, Accepts Ciryl Gane Rematch in Paris

Undisputed UFC heavyweight champion Tom Aspinall has resumed training after career-threatening eye injuries and accepted an interim title unification bout against Ciryl Gane for September.

By Camila Torres

Aspinall's Camp 35%Gane's Camp 35%Fighter Safety Advocates 30%
Aspinall's Camp
Argues that Gane intentionally used illegal tactics to escape a losing round and owes Aspinall a clean fight.
Gane's Camp
Maintains the eye poke was an unfortunate accident and points to Gane's recent interim title win as proof of his championship legitimacy.
Fighter Safety Advocates
Believes the severity of Aspinall's injury highlights the urgent need for stricter eye poke penalties and redesigned gloves.

At a glance

  • Tom Aspinall has resumed training after undergoing double eye surgery in early 2026.
  • Interim champion Ciryl Gane called Aspinall out for a September unification bout in Paris.
  • Aspinall accepted the challenge via social media, agreeing to fight in Gane's home country.
  • Their first fight at UFC 321 ended in a no-contest due to a severe double eye poke.
  • The injury has sparked debates among analysts about implementing stricter eye poke penalties.
97 seconds
Time it took Gane to TKO Pereira
4:35
Round 1 stoppage time of first Aspinall-Gane bout
2
Eye surgeries required for Aspinall's recovery

The return of the undisputed king is officially underway. Tom Aspinall is back in the gym and back in the heavyweight picture. After enduring months of profound uncertainty and undergoing double eye surgery, the British heavyweight champion has been medically cleared to resume his mixed martial arts career. The announcement brings a massive wave of relief to British fight fans and the broader MMA community, many of whom feared the 33-year-old’s promising career might have been permanently derailed by a gruesome foul late last year. Aspinall's return not only signals a personal triumph over a career-threatening injury but also restores much-needed clarity to the top of the UFC's heaviest weight class.[2][3]

The timing of Aspinall’s medical clearance aligns perfectly with the rapidly shifting landscape of the UFC’s heavyweight division. On Sunday, French heavyweight standout Ciryl Gane captured the interim heavyweight title by dismantling former two-division champion Alex Pereira in just 97 seconds at the historic UFC Freedom 250 event in Washington, D.C. Gane's dominant performance reminded the world of his elite striking pedigree and immediately positioned him as the mandatory challenger for Aspinall's undisputed crown, setting the stage for one of the most anticipated rematches in recent promotional history.[1]

Wasting absolutely no time, Gane used his post-fight interview in the center of the octagon to lay down a direct challenge to the undisputed British champion. 'Next, everybody knows already. Let's do that in Paris in September,' Gane told the roaring crowd and the global pay-per-view audience. By calling for the bout to take place in his home country, Gane essentially dared Aspinall to step into hostile territory to unify the splintered heavyweight championship. The proposed timeline targets the UFC's annual September Fight Night event, which has historically been held at the Accor Arena in the French capital.[1]

The road to the undisputed heavyweight unification bout.

Aspinall, who has never been one to back down from a challenge or shy away from hostile territory, quickly responded via a video posted to his social media channels. 'Paris in September, eh? I'll do that,' Aspinall said with a confident smirk. 'Let me know. I don't mind. I'll go to Paris. I'll be there. Ciryl Gane in Paris—let's go. I'm back training now. Literally right now.' The immediate acceptance from the undisputed champion sent shockwaves through the MMA community, confirming that his eyes are fully healed and his competitive fire remains entirely unextinguished.[2][3]

The palpable eagerness from both men to finalize the September date stems from the bitter, unresolved nature of their first encounter inside the cage. The two heavyweights originally clashed in October 2025 at UFC 321 in Abu Dhabi, a bout that was highly anticipated as the dawn of a new era following Jon Jones' retirement. Fans expected a technical masterpiece between the division's two fastest and most agile big men, but the reality proved to be a chaotic and abbreviated affair that left neither fighter satisfied.[2][3]

The palpable eagerness from both men to finalize the September date stems from the bitter, unresolved nature of their first encounter inside the cage.

That October fight ended in disaster at exactly the 4:35 mark of the very first round. As Aspinall stepped into the pocket to throw a combination, Gane’s outstretched fingers caught the British champion deep in both eyes simultaneously. The referee immediately halted the action, granting Aspinall the standard five-minute recovery period. However, despite the time allowed, Aspinall repeatedly told the cageside physician that he could not see out of his right eye, forcing the referee to wave off the bout as a no-contest amidst a chorus of boos from the confused arena.

The aftermath of the foul was far more severe than a typical in-cage scratch or minor abrasion. Aspinall suffered significant vision complications that required two separate surgical procedures in January and February of 2026. For months, the champion dealt with severely blurred vision, keeping him entirely off the training mats and raising quiet, terrifying concerns about his fighting future. The fact that he has navigated that dark period and emerged medically cleared is a testament to modern sports medicine and his own physical resilience.[2][3]

Ciryl Gane captured the interim heavyweight title by defeating Alex Pereira at UFC Freedom 250.

Unsurprisingly, the prolonged and painful recovery bred deep animosity between the two heavyweight stars. Aspinall has publicly branded Gane a 'cheater' on multiple occasions since the incident, arguing that the outstretched fingers were a desperate, intentional tactic from a fighter who was losing the early striking exchanges. Aspinall's camp firmly believes they were minutes away from securing a definitive knockout victory before the illegal maneuver derailed the contest. They point to Aspinall's early success in landing heavy shots and cutting off the cage as proof that Gane was looking for a way out of a deteriorating situation.[3]

Gane, for his part, has steadfastly denied any malicious intent regarding the eye poke. Speaking at the UFC Freedom 250 media day earlier this week, the Frenchman dismissed Aspinall’s harsh accusations as mere opinion born out of understandable frustration. 'We have a beautiful, professional referee. The referee told me nothing because I respect the rules,' Gane stated calmly. He maintains that the eye poke was simply an unlucky accident in a fast-paced sport, and he prefers to let his recent interim title victory speak for his character and championship caliber.

The sheer severity of Aspinall's injury has also reignited a long-standing, passionate debate within the mixed martial arts community regarding fighter safety and glove design. Former British UFC champion Michael Bisping—who famously won his own world title a decade ago and suffered his own career-altering eye injury—has been highly vocal about the incident. Bisping and other safety advocates suggest the UFC needs to implement radical rule changes, including immediate point deductions for extended fingers, to deter fighters from utilizing tactics that can permanently blind their opponents.

Both Aspinall and Gane are known for their rapid finishing abilities inside the octagon.

With Aspinall now fully cleared and back on the mats, the focus shifts to the UFC brass to finalize the paperwork and make the bout official. A September 5 Fight Night event is already tentatively scheduled for the Accor Arena in Paris, providing the perfect, ready-made backdrop for the heavyweight unification. If the bout is signed, it promises to be one of the most emotionally charged heavyweight title fights in recent memory. Aspinall will walk into enemy territory not just to defend his undisputed gold, but to prove that a devastating injury couldn't break his championship resolve.[1][2]

Sources

Source coverage

3 outlets

3 viewpoints surfaced

Aspinall's Camp 35%Gane's Camp 35%Fighter Safety Advocates 30%
  1. [1]ForbesGane's Camp

    Herb Dean Fires Back At Alex Pereira's 'Illegal Blow' Claims, Defends His Officiating

    Read on Forbes
  2. [2]Sportsnet

    UFC's Tom Aspinall accepts Ciryl Gane's callout for Paris rematch

    Read on Sportsnet
  3. [3]MMA InsightAspinall's Camp

    Tom Aspinall Says He'll Fight Ciryl Gane In September

    Read on MMA Insight

Comments

Stay informed

Every angle. Every day.

Get sports stories with full source coverage and perspective breakdowns delivered to your inbox.